Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Being Grateful

I think it's so easy to get in the mindset where you compare yourself to others, or think about things you wish you could have-- things that even seem totally logistical and more of a need than a want at times. I seem to go through periods where I am more at peace with what I have than at other moments. I realize it's an attitude and something I have a choice over. If I choose to be grateful, my life is happier and I see the beauty in a simple life.
   I have been really grateful lately that my Heavenly Father has blessed me with an abundance of love for my two little boys. I know it sounds cliche, but I just LOVE them! They are sweet and I love them. They are rascals who drive me to tears and I still love them. I feel like my heart is just filled to the max with love for them and gratitude that I get to be their mama. I think a lot of this has to do with the fun ages they are at. Kyle and Nolan are so opposite from each other in most ways, so they always keep me on my toes. I am grateful for the little boys that they are and the things that they teach me daily.

Kyle
  Kyle loves Kindergarten. He has a desire to choose the right. He is still Mr. Social and loves to have play-dates with friends. He loves adventure. He is an excellent reader and very smart. I am always amazed at his attention to detail. Kyle's behavior has really improved this year. His tantrums are occurring less often (Hallelujah!). He loves Ninja Turtles, Ninjago, being with Tim, root beer, baby doggie and is really into counting money. He often takes my planner and fills in things. For example, he wrote "Fast Sunday," really big on the first Sunday of every month in my calendar. He also wrote birthdays and other funny things. It makes me smile to see his handwriting. He is now interested in cursive. Kyle is always listening to our conversations and wants to know what we are talking about. He gets this from me. I hate to be out of the know :). He is very sensitive to my feelings. He says the most faithful prayers. When Kyle prays for me I know it will help. If Kyle could be granted one wish right now I think it would be to have karate lessons. Hopefully one day we'll be able to do that for him. Either that or to get money. Ha. He is such a handsome boy and getting so tall!

Nolan
 Mr. Bear is just downright hilarious. He is a handful in the funniest of ways and so I'm afraid I'm not good at disciplining him since I am often just laughing instead. He is witty and quick with his responses. He also has the biggest love for life that is such a gift. I say it's hard to have a bad day when I'm with such a happy person all day. Tim and I literally lose count of how many times he says he loves us in a day. Nolan is always telling me, "Mama, I love _____."  Nolan is addicted to baked goods. When he's not thinking about donuts, he's thinking about cinnamon rolls, muffins or cookies. He still loves to run errands. Last time we were at Costco a lady heard him tell me, "Mama, I just love Costco," and she smiled so big. A couple of weeks ago he finally started to play by himself. He wants someone by him all the time and so it is hard to get anything done during the day. He loves when his, "Kyle boy," is home and I am happy to say that they finally play pretty well together. We tried teaching Nolan how to ride the bike with training wheels last week and it was like walking with a blind person on a bike. He was too busy noticing the birds in the sky or the planted flowers to watch where he is going. If Nolan could be granted one wish right now it would be to have a baby bunny as a pet. He loves small animals and thinks if he had one, they would sleep in his bed with him. I told him that wouldn't happen, so he agreed to getting a cage. 

A couple of months ago I was having a hard day and crying in bed. The boys walked in and saw me upset. They said they were going to get something to help me. So what did they bring back? A bag of m and m's and a big bottle of pepto bismol. It made me laugh so hard! Chocolate and medicine! It was so loving of them though to think that they could help their mama. See how sweet they are? I just wanted to write down some things about this age so I will remember! I love my boys!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

This is so sweet! I love hearing about my cute little nephews. I can totally relate to what you said about comparing and wanting things sometimes and being grateful.

Amy S said...

Just what I needed to read today. I sometimes forget how truly blessed I am because of worldly desires. Thanks for the reminder! I can't believe how much Kyle has changed the past few years. Glad to hear those Special K days are less and less. I laughed out loud about your boys bringing you chocolate and medicine. Just what a girl needs. :)

Irina said...

So cute. It's really wonderful to read how you love your boys.

If you do get a rabbit, you'll need two as one alone gets too lonely and won't be happy. And they do not a huge cage. It should be 4-6 times bigger than an adult streched our rabbit plus an exercise space where they can run.
Guinea pigs are easier and don't such a huge space.

Nielsens said...

I love those sweet boys! And they are lucky to have you as their mama!