Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Jack in the Box

About three weeks before Nolan's birthday we were reading a Fisher Price lift-the-flap book. One of the flaps was a jack-in-the-box. Nolan pointed to it and said, "I want that for my birthday. This." "A jack-in-the-box?" I questioned. "Yes!" he answered. And he was set on it from then on out.

  I'm not sure where besides the book he has played with a jack-in-the-box. I asked him what the toy does and he made a turning motion and sang, "Pop goes the weasel." So he knew what it did... I just still don't know how he knew.
  At his birthday party he was about to open an action figure when I asked him what he thought it was. He said, "I think it's a jack-in-the-box!" (When clearly the package was much too small). Imagine his surprise when he actually got what he wanted on his actual birthday morning:

I could watch that video a million times. Here he is winding it up for the first time:
 He was surprised it was a clown even though this is the one he picked out online...




He was also spoiled with other gifts from family. Musical instruments, Power Rangers book, a drill set, nursery rhyme CDs that the boys giggle at everytime we are in the car, and this pirate ship from Papa and Grandma. I was getting big smiles from Bear, but for some reason he just couldn't open his eyes that morning.


After dinner we sang to him again with his leftover b-day party cupcakes. For some reason he ends up being just in underwear on Sunday evenings. I guess I should enforce getting dressed after taking off his church clothes.
 Love these handsome boys!


How sweet is this pic of Bear and GG smiling at each other? We are so lucky to have GG close to us!

A lot of the day was spent Skyping with Papa and Grandma and Nolan's cousins. I am so grateful for technology and the amazing way it keeps us all connected!

I do have to say that Nolan was wild on his birthday. He was unusually irreverent during Sacrament meeting and tried to be Mr. Funny boy all day long. He sure did love all the attention! We love you Nolan!


2 comments:

Jenny said...

I love when kids pick the most random things to ask for for holidays.

Jenni said...

I love that he picked it out and was still so surprised and thrilled! Such a cute boy.