Tuesday, July 16, 2013

I'm a Mess

We've had a wonderful summer together this year. Even on our tight budget and Tim's busy schedule I feel like we have had great family time, including our vacations together. We were able to go to San Diego for a weekend, Greer, and Puerto Penasco. With three trips Tim only missed a total of two days of work. We feel so grateful to those who helped make these trips doable for us and that our car never broke down!

  Anyway, now we are home. It's a week before Kyle starts school and I'm a mess! I have become so anxious about everything. I can't focus. What waterbottle should I get Kyle? What is the best type of lunch box? I hope the kids are nice to him. I hope he doesn't have a freak out on the days the cafeteria serves things like tuna fish that will stink up the cafeteria (I still remember the days they served fish). I hope he will put his closed-toe shoes on fine the days he has PE and that it won't be a big battle. What will it be like with just my Bear all day? Will he feel lonely? How will we all adjust?

I'm not good with change.
I'm not good with one of my best buddies leaving all day.

Will his teacher love him and be patient? I think so. I mean, she's the one who chose to be a Kindergarten teacher! Did I pick the right school? Will he be challenged intellectually? How will his innocence be challenged?

  Tim and I have called Kyle, "Everybody's best friend," for awhile. He has amazed me with how quickly he makes friends where ever we go. He has a talent for remembering people's names. I hope he chooses good friends at school.

  Bear will start pre-school in August. In my mind I used to think I would have a third kid by now, but I don't. Sometimes it makes me sad, but I normally just try to focus on how much I can love my boys right now and give them my attention. I am looking forward to being able to volunteer in Kyle's class when Bear is at pre-school. I didn't get to volunteer often in his class last year since I had to arrange someone to watch my Nolan Bear.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm a bit nutty. I'm also sure I'm not alone. I just wanted to write this down so I can laugh at it later. Maybe in May of next year when school ends and I realize Kyle is still one of my best buddies and we all survived.

8 comments:

Katie said...

I worry about all those things and I'm not even about to go through them yet. Let me know how it goes. :) You're a great mom. It'll be OK!

Chad~Nicole said...

I had similar feelings regarding sending C off to kindergarten. (http://chadlovesnicole.blogspot.com/2010/07/in-mourning-end-of-era.html) I remember what put me over the edge was filling out the registration and answering things like if the nurse would be able to give him Tylenol, or saying that they had permission to send him to the hospital in case of emergency, etc. It made me feel not in charge anymore. Since Z has a different personality, my worries for him starting kindergarten were completely different, but he did great...and so will Kyle! I remember the summer after kindergarten I was so ready for school to start. I laughed at the change in my attitude over 1 year's time. You're lucky to be able to help out in his class. I had new babies when C&Z were both in kindergarten, so I have missed out on that. As for your more logistical concerns, you're Kyle's mom, so obviously you know him best, but I don't give my boys a choice about wearing tennis shoes to school. I just feel it's easier and safer. My boys prefer the insulated, stainless steel water bottles with the flip lids and straws. In those their water stays cold. :) You will all survive!

Nicole said...

You're not alone at all. I am dying that Mary AND Bradley will be going to school in just a week and a half. I worry about so much, but I have to be careful not to pass those worries and fears on to them...

Charly said...

Logan's first year of school I made her HUGE lunches because I was so paranoid about her starving during school because I knew when she was at home she could get a snack any time she wanted to. I was terrified of her feeling hungry at school. Haha. I felt like it was the one thing that I could absolutely control out of her school day...that she would not be hungry.
I hope the adjustment goes well. He'll have a blast!

mom - Diane - Grandma :-) said...

My dear JennyBoo....I know you do not like change BUT....everything will work out great! Kyle is a smart kid and excited to learn. You will feel it is worth it when you see how much he learns and that he is happy learning and making new friends. Bear will love having more of your attention. Change allowed you to be a beautiful mother to your best buddies. :) Hang in there! Love you!

Mariley Johnson said...

Is school starting already?? IT's a big deal. I'm more nervous to send my second to kinder than I was my first. You'll both do great!

Elizabeth Farnsworth said...

I cried when Kyle went to kinder. But, it did get easier and I LOVED the time I had with Carter all day. Carter ate it up too. Special K will do fabulously and you will be in awe of how much he will grow and change in positive ways. Hugs sweet friend. You can do this!

Jenny said...

Oh I can definitely relate!