Sunday, December 18, 2011

An Answered Prayer

I remember the summer of 2009 for many reasons. For one, my family took a trip to Hawaii together. The second thing I remember happened after I came home from that trip.

Tim flew back to San Antonio shortly after our trip to Hawaii but I stayed in AZ a few days longer. I remember calling Tim on the phone and saying something to the effect of, "Tim, I know why I don't want to go back to Texas. I have no friends there. There are a lot of nice people there but here I am surrounded by friends and family who know me and I don't have to explain anything."

It was after that phone call that I realized how really lonely I was in TX. There was no "law playgroup" or "law bookclub" like there were for the dental and medical student moms. Tim's friends got together on the weekends to go to the bar--not to watch the BYU football games in someone's living room.

I felt like I was doing my part too. Showing up to activities when I could and being willing to strike up conversations with the person next to me. Of course, I ended up going back to San Antonio. This time I went back and really started praying for a way to not feel so lonely.

One day I decided to call this girl I had seen at church who had twins Kyle's age. I knew her name and knew she lived within walking distance to our house, but not much more than that. I invited her family over for Family Home Evening treats. I was excited.

They came over and what do you know? Kyle was crazy. The twins were crazy. Ahhh. Conversation went great. Ahhhh. It felt good.

From then on, I have been so grateful that my Heavenly Father blessed my life with Courtney as my friend. We come from very different backgrounds. We are not the same age. She's a cook, I shy away from the kitchen. She's an athlete. She would run several miles and then I would join her for the last mile where she encouraged me to keep running during her "cool-down." I tried but failed :). Despite our differences she understood me and I understood her. She was the type of friend you could call and say, "I need out of my house. Let's go to the park." We worked out together, ran errands together, and she taught me that during a Girl's Night Out you do not rush back home :).

A couple of nights before she moved to Florida for her husband's orthodontic residency a group of friends and I surprised her to celebrate her birthday. It was late at night and she was cleaning her carpets :). Did I mention this was right before Nolan was due too? Hence the size of the whale pictures:




I've been thinking about Courtney because today would have been her oldest son's 7th birthday, but he passed away shortly after his first birthday. While I never met Alex, I feel like I know him. I know him because I know his mom and I know he would have shared the same great qualities with me that Courtney does. He would have been a friend to Kyle and one for Kyle to look up to, like I do to his mom.

Buddies!

Lexi:
Jackson:
 Kyle:

I am so grateful Courtney was the answer to my prayers. I can't wait until we can play again!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

i like this story. I have a friend like that who lost her first child. That must be so hard, but those mommas who go through that and stay positive are such amazing examples.

I'm happy for you that you are back in AZ with all your buddies now!

Ann-Marie said...

xox

Sweet, sweet, Courtney! What a beautiful post.

Thank-you.

Katie said...

What a blessing of friendship. I am getting nervous about moving in a couple of months. I will follow your advice: pray for a friend and get out of my comfort zone to make one. I cannot imagine losing a child. I am so sorry for her loss. She sounds like an amazing person!