Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Only in UT


In between every class period I greet the students at the door as they come into class. Please enjoy the following conversation:

Student: Umm, Mrs. Ray, you can't get mad at me or I can't get in trouble for not turning in my assignment yet.
Me: Why?

Student: Well, I've been really busy at church. I'm the deacons quorum president and we've been doing A LOT of stuff.
Me: Church Smurch. Sorry. This is school and your assignment was due.

Student: Ugh! (his face in disbelief as he walks through the door)
How many of your teachers would have known what "Deacon president" or "Beehive president" meant? How many of you would have tried to use it as an excuse? Utah.

13 comments:

Jenni said...

that is so funny! It's crazy how I got so used to living and always being around Mormons in Utah... I thought I wanted to leave that and get back into the "real world" but now I actually miss it. So enjoy it while you can...and the pretty mountains!

(I want to see a new belly pic!)

The Scotts said...

That is hilarious! I probably would have tried to use any excuse too!

Shauna Brown said...

I'm with you- lame, lame, lame! It's not like you make the excuses for not having your lesson plans ready because you had to go to Enrichment- blah blah blah!!

Chelsea said...

What a good laugh this morning! Ha Ha! I really hope you said church smurch because that was a great response. Good ol' Utah.

Jamie said...

Seriously, this place is crazy! I hope you are feeling good! I want to see some more cute pictures of your belly! Oh, and yes I got a new camera. I use it a lot more now that I have a baby and my old one just wasnt taking the best pictures.

Jenny said...

oh my. gotta love utah

Tabitha said...

too funny!

Ani said...

Classic!

Tim and Jennifer said...

chelsea- yes i did say church smurch.

Summertime Designs said...

That is too funny! Way to be firm Jennifer! I probably would have been thinking, "What a great little deacon!" But then again, the ones in my ward are at the "deceiving" stage so I guess I would see right through it!

jon♥kara said...

Only in Utah for sure. Haha. Oh you may not drink enough milk but you probably eat enough ice cream to make up for it.j/k

Tanya Kimball said...

I agree...only in Utah. Did you hear that radio traffic lady on a radio station in Utah who ended her report with the ending of a prayer. It is a whole different world up there---Mormonism is the culture!

Jeppesen Family said...

you are such a mean teacher! Give the kid a break! haha sounds like something I would do.