Sometimes I have random thoughts that I feel like sharing.
1. I heard on the radio the other day that teens are considered "dumber" these days because they do not know how to write grammatically correct sentences due to the number of text messages they send a day. Do any of my teaching friends see this happening in school? Sometimes when I read someone's Facebook status I feel sick inside because of the way they write "to" instead of "too," or "your" instead of you're." (Don't worry, if you're my close friend I don't think any less of you haha).
2. I find my own self feeling dumber these days. I've been out of school for two years and I tend to have mini panic attacks. Is it "affect" or "effect?" Why did I spell that word wrong? Does the period go before or after the parenthesis!?!? These are real thoughts that lead to an instant headache. How have I lost so much knowledge already?
I'm assuming if you didn't major in English or English Teaching that you don't freak out over thoughts like these. Is this the case? Do you freak out when you can't remember something you specialized in? How can I sharpen my mind? I don't like Sudoku.
3. Are you dressing up for Halloween? I don't feel the slightest inclination to. I'll throw Kyle in something for sure, but I've never felt the need to dress myself up. Nevermind. I just decided I can be a tennis player. See, for the past several holidays/personal celebrations all I have asked of Tim is to go play tennis. Since we never have it really would look like a costume if I put some warm-ups on and carry around my tennis racquet. Problem solved.
4. A couple of months ago I tried to become a runner. I went on a couple of jogs and then stopped. If you are a runner, how did you get to that stage? I used an iPod the other day and it helped me last five minutes longer than usual, but I just feel so ADD when it comes to jogging. It really blows my mind that some people go on runs for fun, to relax, or to clear their mind. I could really use the exercise.
The end. Have a great weekend!
Friday, October 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


18 comments:
this was fun to read. Sometimes random posts are the most interesting. I totally agree with the grammatical (mind numbing) issues. I feel dumber since leaving BYU. Sometimes I do vocab practice at work....
Totally dress as a tennis player for halloween, sounds like fun. I have yet to decide what to be (but then again, I may be in the hospital that day....)I could be a birthing mother for Halloween.
haha i love this.
1. it really stresses me when i cant remember how to say things in sign language
2. i just found out that we have a halloween party at work so now i feel pressured to have a good costume
3. i was talking to coworkers about the whole running thing. they say you just get to a point where you can go without wanting to stop and it's kinda effortless. im still waiting to hit that point...
Jen,
Dad says to tell you he has a new miracle cure for your post formal education concerns--"it's called reading a book."
I'm glad you won't judge me for my grammar mistakes. Quite often it is more that I just don't care when I am writing on facebook. I will even notice and not change it. That is silly. As far as english mistakes, I have to agree with your dad. Reading a book is a great way to keep your mind sharp and keep you entertained. It can be pretty hard to find the time to read though.
It doesn't stress me out so much when I cannot remember things about history because it is so easy to look up. I do feel dumb sometimes when a person asks me something about history and I can't remember,
I totally understand how you feel about jogging. I cannot get into the right frame of mind to really enjoy it. There was a while there where I could run for a pretty long time, but I would get so bored. I am yet to find the true joy in running.
I am dressing up for Halloween! I always liked to dress up and join in on the fun. I think life is way more fun if you participate. This year my niece Kristin is getting married on Halloween and is having everyone dress up. It gives me an excuse to dress up even though I will have a three week old baby.
i like random posts!
usually i love getting into halloween costumes but this year i'm stumped! we have dressed up in the past but now that we have another kid i don't feel the need to as much...we'll see.
the only reason i like running is because i started young when i still had lots of energy. ha. i have converted a few of my friends out here to like it though and they all said you just have to stick it out for awhile before you actually like it. but there are definitely other ways to workout so not everyone has to be a runner.
1. I hate running. I use the elliptical or the stair master. And I listen to my ipod. And read a book.
2. Spelling and grammer drives me NUTS. Honestly. I feel like I'm constantly editing everything I write, and anything I read!
1. I hatehatehate poor spelling, grammar, etc., it’s one of my biggest pet peeves! I’m glad I’m not the only one.
2. I find myself using dictionary.com much more than I used to; I feel like watching Elmo instead of Fox News is slowly decreasing the number of brain cells I have. I agree with your dad, I love to read different kinds of genres and it helps me feel like I’m still learning.
3. I love dressing up for Halloween, it makes me feel like a kid again. I think a tennis “costume” is a great (and cheap!) idea
4. I’m one of the above mentioned people who started running to get in shape, and after several weeks I actually began to love it! The longer and more often you run the easier and more enjoyable it becomes, so I say keep at it, it’s worth it! Also it helps to run with a friend, it makes it more enjoyable and go a lot faster, I’m always up for it if you want a running buddy!
Great post, I love random thoughts! =)
I just started running - it helps to go with friends so that you can talk and get your mind off of running- I also have my ipod in one ear so that I can talk and listen to music all at once. It also helps to go at night- I find it much easier than running with the sun beating down on you. Hope this helps! I've been doing 4-6 miles weekly.
I have NO advice for the running... I hate running and have ALWAYS hated running! I have just come to the conclusion that something else will have to be my "time". SO, we bought an elliptical on craigslist for like $20 and that has been AWESOME!!!!
PS...being in the first trimester of pregnancy is a GREAT way to lose weight! I'm going on 15 lbs... haha..not quite the way I wanted to do it though :-)
Jennifer! You are so funny! I feel the same way with feeling like I am getting "dumber" with time! Also, if you ever ever ever want to go running, it helps so much to just go with someone to help keep you going. Just give me a call (sometimes I have a hard time being consistent in the mornings, but later in the mornings work for me!) Talk to you soon!
k i just had a chance to read this. i like your thoughts. i agree with them. i hate running but i still do it... time to find a new way to excercise. i'll let you know when i do. i'm still in school & i freak out about my grammar.
These Made me. Laugh! HAHA!#$! JK.
Ok, so I totally agree with you on all these things! I totally suck in the grammar department, I blame that on being bilingual though. I say this because Celest and I make the exact same mistakes when writing certain things. So, it either means we are equally dumb, or it does have something to do with it. I have been out of school for 5 years, and maybe that has had some effect on other things...
The dressing up like a tennis player would be so fun! DO IT! I want to learn to play tennis, so if you ever want to play, let me know! Steve is GOOD in tennis, would Tim want to go play as couples? I think we would be up fot it, if you are! And lastly, ask Steve about the running thing. He runs about 12 miles on the weekends. And likes it. WEIRD.
In YW we passed around a birthday card to sign. One of them wrote, "Hope U have thee best Bday evvvver!" Really? On a birthday card? When I see their FB status updates I think the same thing.
We usually try to dress up for the trunk-or-treat. That way everyone thinks we're the cool parents.
You're so funny! I didn't major in English, but I do the same thing and get all obsessed like when I do run on sentences like this one...
As for the running, I was never a runner. I wanted to be a runner though, so I found someone who was to run with. THat helps a lot. I don't like to go on long runs by myself.
Hmmm....I don't run too much anymore and I actually miss it! I never thought I would say that. I love that it was early in the morning, still cool outside, the day was a clean slate, and I could think about whatever I wanted. That probably doesn't help, but we're excited to see you!
Do you know how many words I google now because I can't remember how to spell, and don't understand why I have a red squiggly line under it! Yesterday I asked Cody how to say a huge number. I wasn't sure if I was doing the millions and billions at the right time. (Carter was playing with a calculator.) He laughed at me, and asked "what happened to me?" He said I used to be the smartest girl he knew. Sad....not at ALL anymore! I honestly am thinking about stealing some 5th graders homework, and doing it for them!
I love you Jen. And yes I freak out when I forget things but more so because I just learned them a month a go and still have to take a test on the info. Ya you don't seem like someone who'd enjoy dressing up, but you are creative so it would be fun if you did try alittle a harder. : )
I was never a runner, but a friend challenged me to run a half marathon with her. She made me sign up right then, and I felt like I had to do it because I forked over the money and didn't want to waste it. That worked for me! Running with a friend was also great accountability. :)
Post a Comment