Sunday, May 17, 2009

Double Trouble

(Perhaps my longest post ever??) For the past nine days TRay and I got to take care of our niece Sadie as her parents went on a cruise. With Sadie and Kyle together for that long it was double the trouble. The first Friday and Saturday were great. They played well together and I think they thought it was fun to have each other there all the time. Then Sunday came along. This is my "Happy Mother's Day" photo: It was a problem when both kids wanted to be on my lap. Kyle, as usual, is trying to push Sadie off. There is also left over vomit on the right side of my dress from Kyle. That happened a little bit before this photo but I wasn't given the chance to change yet. Way to show you love me Kyle! I guess Kyle throwing up and the fact that he wouldn't eat dinner until 8 o'clock (his usual bedtime) was a clue to what was to come next. Here he is finally willing to eat: On Monday he started the day with a low-grade fever so we gave him some medicine. He played well in the morning but still wasn't the biggest eater. I think all day he ate a bag of fruit snacks and had little to drink. By night time he had thrown up three times, had a temperature of 102.8 and was dehydrated. We took him to the Urgent Care which then sent us to the hospital. From 10:30-4 am we were at the hospital. WORST NIGHT OF MY LIFE. At the hospital they put a catheter in him in order to get a urine sample to check for infection. They took two blood tests because the first one clotted, put one iv in for nutrients, another iv in for antibiotic and also did a chest x-ray to check for pneumonia. Kyle screamed when I laid him on the bed for the first time so they wrapped him in a sheet to hold him down with one arm exposed. He was so hot and was screaming but was too dehydrated for tears. I tried to be strong for the first little bit but then I joined in on the crying as well. At one point they couldn't get the iv in so they said, "Ok Mom, calm him down and then we'll come back in a few minutes to try the other hand." What?? Didn't they realize he was just going to get upset as soon as they tried the other hand? We were also supposed to get Kyle to drink a certain amount of Pedialyte before we would be free but that was the reason we came in the first place. Kyle was not drinking all day. So the process started of Tim forcing a syringe full in Kyle's mouth. The nurses commented that they could always tell when Tim was trying to get Kyle to drink because everyone could hear him scream from the outside.
   I started to get really upset that we were still there and I think one of the nurses must of mentioned something to the doctor because she finally came in and said we could stop forcing the stuff into Kyle. We had to wait for the last iv, which took a half hour, and then we would be discharged!! I have to say a huge thank you to Cory Spicer for staying at our house while Sadie slept until we got home.
Ok, you can take an intermission if you are still here.
   Welcome back. It turns out that Kyle's white blood cells were higher than just a bad stomach bug so he had some type of infection. A couple days later he was back to normal and we were having fun again. These two loved to eat their berries together. We went to an indoor play place. I couldn't get a good picture of Sadie because she was running around everywhere.
Kyle learned to count to two before he went down this ride. Here he is saying "twooo" while holding the number one:
Someone else even got in on the fun:
I had fun doing Sadie's hair:
We watched Youtube videos:
We went to Sea World twice:
   Sadie is so funny because she has no fear and loves the water. She just ran around this little place as happy as could be.
Kyle continued his obsession with steering wheels and stayed in one place:
We had our sweet moments:
We had our not-so-sweet moments:
    And after all is said and done, I learned that you really can love another child as much as your first child. We love our little Sadie Bug.

17 comments:

jes said...

i cannot believe your week! i'm extremely impressed! i thought MY mother's day was bad! :)

Chad~Nicole said...

Your hospital experience reminds me of when Z had seizures and they tried (unsuccessfuly) multiple times to get the dumb iv in. I eventually left the room and cried in the hallway. I'm glad Kyle is back to normal. When's it your turn for the cruise? :)

Jen said...

I'm glad things turned out okay for Kyle and you. But that sounded horrible! I'm sorry you had to go through that.

megan said...

oh man the first half of your blog made me want to cry for you guys and the second half made me laugh/ be scared for the future with two children! I"m so glad Kyle is feeling better!

Alli said...

Poor Kyle! I hope Sea World and the sweet moments made up for that ordeal!

Jenni said...

it sounds like you are ready for another baby! :)

Rachel said...

ER visits are always bad. AND I think IVs are even worse when Cora was in the NICU it took them 2 hours of trying to find a vein to get one in her head!
I'm glad Kyle is feeling better and it sounds like you had a fun cousin party.

Amy S said...

I am just glad Cory was able to help out, and even more happy that Kyle is better! Really please call anytime you need a hand. Hang in there only a few more weeks until Hawaii! Sooooo jealous:)

JONESIES said...

Oh man what a sad time for kyle and mom! We had a similar experience when we were on the cruise :-(! Bet your happy to just have 1 now! I'm a little more nervous for 2!

Andrea said...

I know how horrible those hospitals are. Bless your heart. your days as a mother inspire me.

iknowjewels said...

Yeah I'm not going to lie, dehydrated baby veins are horrible. 1. no one likes starting an IV on a baby (moms, baby, nurse. They are so tricky! But they are so dehydrated its needed 2. fluid challenge is often to see if the baby needs to be admitted or discharged home. no fluids in often times means baby stays. 3. Your experience with 2 kids makes me so happy that neither jason or I have twins in the family. Who would want twins at ages 1-4? ahk!

Way to hang in there! Sounds like you both hand all your hands full.

The Scotts said...

What a week! How hard to have a sick baby AND be watching someone elses baby! You guys are awesome. It looks like they ended up having a fun time though. Have you recovered?

Summertime Designs said...

Wow! I need a glass of water and a nap because I am exhausted thinking about your week! I am so sorry about the hospital experience. I remember how awful it was when they were trying to get an IV in Claire...there's always so much pudge on the babies that it's so hard to find the vein! I'm glad that he is okay. That is so nice of you to watch Sadie. Such cute pictures...even the "not-so-happy" ones. I hope you've gotten to take a bubble bath and a nice long nap!

amber {and co.} said...

Jennifer you are superwoman!! I get exhausted just taking care of Chandler, I can't imagine taking on another kid (who's not mine) for 10 days! Sadie's parents are lucky to have you around! And I'm so sorry about your no good very bad night, it sounded miserable :(

Tim and Jennifer said...

We really had fun! Sadie is a good little girl and Kyle loved having his cousin around. It's a lot easier when it's two cute kids... but we're glad we don't have twins!

mom - Diane - Grandma :-) said...

The picture of Kyle in the hospital with his red cheeks breaks my heart!! So glad he is feeling better. Sadie is a cutie. Are you ready for #2 now? :-)

jon♥kara said...

K first off you look AMAZING!! No matter what numbers your throwing up you are looking great jen! And congrats for making it through the week with two kids! That is so sad about Kyle I got a little teary I'm glad it didn't last too long. Are you feeling any better?