Monday, October 4, 2010

It's What's Inside that Counts

Q: What do I have in common with the following ladies?

1.
A: We share the same last name.
2.
A. Finances are not our strong point.
3.
A. Considering she's my mother, several genes, but apparently not her talent in the kitchen.

I need some take-out, and I need it fast. It's been a rough time in the kitchen lately.

(the following pictures will all be from my phone)
Exhibit 1:
Minute Rice Fail
Exhibit 2 (the next day):
"Cover" the potatoes Fail
(Thank you to Tim for realizing that the smell of burning plastic was indeed coming from the oven)

Exhibit 3: 
Peach Pie Fail
Looks pretty good, doesn't it? Well, what about from this angle?

Perspective is funny. Or how about a few steps before this:
Perhaps the crust was a little too flaky.
(Don't worry, I'll clean the oven soon).

If you thought this was the worst part of the experience, you're wrong. It was occurring during the almost forty minutes I spent "cutting" the shortening into pea-sized amounts. Picture me, almost to tears, telling Tim that I'm never baking a pie shell from scratch again because I'm having such a hard time using two knives to cut the shortening.

A quick phone call to the mother enlightened me. The shortening was supposed to be in with the other dry ingredients. Wow. That went much faster!

In the end, we dished out the peaches and threw away the crust. The inside was delicious!
 And that's what counts.

p.s. Here's a picture from the summer of my mom and Kyle making pie together. She makes it look soooo easy.

15 comments:

Jenny said...

you're so funny. i've never asked your mom, but she must have made a few mistakes somewhere along the way to becoming a pro in the kitchen. at least that's what i tell myself when i fail miserably :)

Charly said...

I used to fail miserably in the kitchen ALL the time and I hated being in there! But I finally got to a point where I accepted the fact that I was either going to fail or it might actually come out good. Now I feel like I can tackle anything and I love to cook. Don't give up!

Cara said...

You're not alone!!! I'm pretty awful in the kitchen and it drives me crazy to because it seems like all of our other relatives know how to cook but us!!! It has to get better for us!!!!!

Katie said...

ourbestbites.com is my best friend. They have tons of tutorials that make even hard things easier in the kitchen. Check out their website.

The Scotts said...

LOL!!! I am all about easy and fast recipes!! Crockpot is my middle name! Let me know if you want any, ps I love the plastic in the oven. That is funny!

Corynn said...

Oh Jen! I am dying. Just dying. This is the funniest post I have seen in such a long time. Don't feel bad. I don't cook. Just this week, I baked chicken for the very first time in my entire life. haha. (It worked out, but there have been many fails in the past!)

JONESIES said...

Hey at least your trying! I haven't cooked anything new in a VERY long time. Like you said the pie prob tasted great it doesn't matter what it looked like!

jes said...

maybe you need your mom's amazing kitchen! at least you'd feel like a pro while cooking! :)

megan said...

I love this! Remember that cooking is a skill and will come with practice. It may not be your strongest point, but you'll get it. Just imagine if we were all good at cooking, we would get bored. Your mom is seriously amazing and with an example like that you will get it. Find things that you know you are good at, and start with those. That salad you posted on facebook about a month ago looked delicious.

mom - Diane - Grandma :-) said...

You're hilarious Jen! Jenny is right..I've made plenty of mistakes along the way and I continue to make mistakes. We just have to keep on trying and learn from our mistakes. I'm sure you'll never "cut" the shortening without the dry ingredients again!! haha

Heather O'Brien said...

That is too funny. At least you attempted to make a pie. Better than I can say. I am horrible in the kitchen. I swear I burn myself at least 10 times when cooking something. My mom has some good laughs of questions that I've called her with. So...if you ever want to go out to eat call me :).

Lisa said...

Pie crusts are the hardest!! I tried once and never did it again. Now I use the frozen pre-made Marie Calendar's brand. But it's true nothing beats homemade. I bet Tim loved the filling!!

iknowjewels said...

Aw, this post cracks me up. I think most of us can relate to the disasters. Maybe not all in a week, but relatable for sure!
I have had an apple pie disaster once too. I also think when the pie shell is from scratch its even more heartbreaking!

Candace Heyman said...

This is too too funny! I'm glad your dinner this week turned out better than your poor pie. I love that you "cut" the shortening for 40 minutes. To think I thought you didn't need such detailed directions... Don't worry, you're not a complete failure! I LOVED your french dips!!! You aren't nearly as bad at cooking as you make it sound but you sure are funny! Can't wait to see you. I miss your face!

Candace Heyman said...

by the way, that's such a pretty picture of you and your mom. you're both gorgeous.