Friday, July 8, 2011

Good-bye

    After sending Taylor off to BYU, we got ready to take my parents to the airport. I was going to see them in SLC when they got set apart and before they entered the Missionary Training Center, but this would be it for the boys. Earlier that morning my mom and dad had given a book to each boy that they had recorded reading. Kyle loved listening to his Cars book read by Papa!
And Papa held the book for Nolan to enjoy. I think his favorite is my mom's voice singing, "The Itsy Bitsy Spider."



Papa and Kyle also got in their special hand shake. They start out by saying, "Do you want to be cool like us?" It's hilarious. (And a little bit nerdy too! haha!)



Last group photo.



  After photos my parents said their good-byes to the boys and we loaded up to take them to the airport. Between watching Taylor leave for college, my parents saying bye to the boys and realizing my parents were officially leaving the comforts of their home for three years, it was a very emotional day for me. I can only imagine how they felt :).
   It was sad for me to think of the boys not having their grandparents here, but I am so thankful for skype, phone calls and those sweet books my parents left for them. I think Kyle knows how important it is that his Papa and Grandma go on a mission. On the way to the airport he asked Papa where his scriptures were. He knew that if Papa was going on a mission he should have his scriptures with him. It was the cutest thing. What an incredible example my parents are being to my little future missionaries.

3 comments:

Hillery said...

The brand new president and wife of the Kentucky mission spoke in Sacrement meeting today...I thought of your cute parents the whole time! Getting excited to see you guys!

Ann-Marie said...

tears. lots of tears.

Sarah Robbins said...

That was so sweet of your parents to record those books. My mom got a set of books for us here and for her in Arizona. She reads them while I hold Debby and she looks at the pictures. You could try that, too. We got most of them at garage sales.

You're fortunate that your kids are used to skyping, but it is still so hard to be away from family. . .