Monday, April 21, 2008

Texans

I offer my apologies to the following people:
1. Mrs. Alexander, my 4th and 5th grade teacher
Mrs. Alexander had just moved from Texas and for some reason felt the need to staple the Texas state flower to our classroom walls. Hello...didn't she know she was in AZ now? She even had a tiny Texas flag. I cried and cried to my mom about this teacher. Well, I had her again for fifth grade and this time liked her more. I am sorry for thinking you were the meanest teacher and the dumbest one for liking Texas so much.
**Please notice starting from the left, Kassidi and Megan, and second from the end Kristina!

2. Ashleigh B., my first roommate at BYU
I can remember finding out online at my dad's law firm that my random roommate was going to be from Texas! I tried to hold my tears back because I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of the professionals. We emailed back and forth a bit before school started, and my roommatae Ashleigh seemed ok.
Well, fast forward to the day my parents are moving me into the dorm. We unload my stuff. No sign of roommate yet. We leave and a little bit later we drive by the dorms and notice the light is on in my room and the blinds are pulled up. What can I see from the road? A huge Texas flag hanging from MY dorm room and a huge laminated map of Texas hanging from the wall. What are with these Texans? I immediately started crying. I hated college and it hadn't even started.
Turns out Ashleigh was the perfect roommate for me and we had a blast together. We even roomed again when I returned from London. I'm sorry for holding a grudge against your Texan ways.3. Brittany (Parker) Devine, Freshman year suitemate
Now, Brittany wasn't the most visual in displaying her Texan pride (as in no huge map on the wall), but she was the most vocal. We would fight in the Cannon Center, seriously get into arguments about Texas and AZ, because we both had such strong opinions. Her only experience with AZ was visiting her Grandma in an area with no grass, and I actually had never been to Texas. I made her roommate pose like this:
Turns out that once again, Brittany was and still is one of the funniest, kind girls I know. I'm sorry for arguing with you. But, I really can't be sorry for Kristin posing like that. It's just too funny.
(She's the blonde)
I offer my apologies to these three Texans because in my first encounters I used to feel like they could have damaged my life because they were from Texas (weird, I know), when in reality some of my fav. memories include them. And if you're still reading this, the reason I've thought so much about these Texans is because we are packing up this summer and headed to SAN ANTONIO for law school and WE are so excited! You're looking at the next Texas resident (but forever an Arizonan native).


23 comments:

jon♥kara said...

I love you Jennifer and your approach to announcing where you are going! I love it all. You are so funny. Congratulations that is soo so so exciting. Texans are kind of funny about their state. I really like AZ but I would never hang a flag if I were to move. Oh and that pic of you girls in elementary school is so cute, megan looks the most different from when I met her in jr high. Also I totally remember when you first went to school over the summer to BYU and when I talked to you after a few months you had the strongest Texas accent and I could hardly stand to talk to you. haha Oh no what does that me for when you move there?!

Tanya Kimball said...

Congrats Jen and Tim! So fun! It'll be a great adventure for you guys! Jen, you sound like you've been doomed for Texas at some point in your life! Good luck!

Holly and Brad said...

Haha!! Geez, now I want to know what you thought about me when we met. I bet Mason and Jenni are ecstatic! They babysat Chase for us once when we went to the temple and I think they said that Tim's sis/bro lives in the same neighborhood as them, so I am sure you will be in good company! Yahoo! Even though we are about an hour and a half away we will for sure call you guys and have to come see everyone! Congratulations. Now you can put the bumper sticker on your car that reads, "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could." See, now thats why people don't like Texas.

Tim and Jennifer said...

Luckily I had grown out of my anti-Texas stage by then...

Ty and Tiff said...

So Texas it is! That is really exciting...You are really lucky that you are getting outta the snowy weather!!!! Lets get together soon! Tell Tim good luck with Finals!

laurie said...

oh jen you are going to come back from texas knowing that az's got nothin' on texas! you'll have so much fun, we're so excited for you guys!

Jenny said...

yeah! you're going to love it!

megan said...

I'm so excited for you guys! When do you move? What kind of lawyer does Tim want to be? i would just call you right now with all these questions but I left my phone at home. San Antonio! yee haw! I love that picture of us in elementary school I can't believe you have that with you. I left most of my pictures at my parents. Kara- People don't even recognize me now that knew me in elementary school. I think it is the blond hair that I used to have that throws people off

Jenni said...

We are just waiting for you to get here!! I'm so glad you are coming here. We only ask that you move no further than 1 block away from us. So is it actually official since you are blogging it???

Ani said...

Wow! Congrats on the move! That should be.....fun. Just kidding! I remember Ashleigh, she was fun! That seems like soo long ago! Good luck!

Cara said...

Congrats guys!! Heather was born there....that explains A LOT!!! Good luck with the move.. YEE HAA!!

The Scotts said...

Congrats! I have no idea but will Andy and Hilery be there still? Congrats to you guys. I lived in Houston for a few months and LOVED it and have visited Dallas and loved it more. I have no clue what San Antonio is like but I bet you'll get your Texan pride!

Anderson Adventures said...

Jennifer
I am laughing histerically right now. I love what you wrote and I can remember like it was yesterday those arguments in the cannon center. I also love Kyle's outfit. Jon thought it was awesome.

Cara Jones said...

I felt the same way at first, but San Antonio is great! How exciting to have a law school friend :-). Good luck with searching for a place to live, let me know if I can help you any more!

Nuestra Familia said...

Way to go Tim and Jen, how exciting. It was really fun visiting there, we can't wait to come visit again. But lets just keep it straight and remember to stay Suns fans!!

Chelsea said...

Y'all are going to love it here. I wear my 'don't mess with texas' shirt on a daily basis because I love it so much. HA!

No really...we don't talk with accents or wear the clothes. But it is pretty funny how you will develop the Tx pride so fast. I love the seasons that Texas has to offer. We went to San Antonio and almost got run off by everyone. We were going the wrong way on a one way street by the Alamo. Not good. At least you have family and friends there! We have season passes to Sea World. If we go you should meet us there and see Shamu with us!
And it's true what the song says..."the stars at night, are big and bright!!"
Congrats and yee haw!

Hillery said...

One word: yee-haw! (BTW: Hilarious post).

August and Melissa said...

Congrats Jenn- August goes to Texas all the time now for his new job-he is actually there right now for 2 weeks! Maybe I could go with him some time and visit with you guys while he works all day. lol -I'm excited for you!

Jeppesen Family said...

That's so funny b/c I was just talking to my Mom about Mrs Alexander and about how I hated her 4th grade and we were her buddies in 5th grade. ANd I love the sweet photo. How akward were we???
Also, I feel the same as you. I am a proud AZ native and my family has been here since white man first came to the area! But you don't find me putting flags and maps of the state on my wall. What's with those Texans? You also forgot Josh (from work) He is crazy about the state, and then my Aunt Judy is from AZ but lived there for 9 years and became super obsessed. So, there must be something in the water. Maybe you'll turn to the dark side! And if Nathan does his residency there, we will too! (Although I will NEVER like those Spurs! Go Suns!)

megan said...

Jen sorry to use your blog but... Kassidi I your blog will not let me comment on it. I have tried it three times now.

megan said...

oh and also I look like my mom in that picture which if funny because I have way more of my dad's features. Also (not like my mom) check out my head. It was too big for my scrawny body. Oh the days of scrawny bodies, sigh

Shauna Brown said...

I am so excited for you guys! What an adventure! You know Heather was born in Texas. We lived there for exactly one year and we're pretty normal, right??!!

B Devine said...

I just got back from a long trip to Hawaii. I was getting text messages about this blog of yours....and I've been dying to check it.

Congrats. I am so happy Tim got into school. I know you'll enjoy the affordability of Texas. Everyone there is also very nice.....I promise.

Other than the amazing Riverwalk, I'm not too familiar with San Antonio. The temple there looks like a typical small temple from the outside, but it is just gorgeous inside. I'll have to give you details later.

Thanks for the cute little shout out. Miss you Jen.

P.S. All you readers out there, must know that the Canon Center debates were very intense. It was no joke then.