Tuesday, February 1, 2011

If There's One Thing I Love

it's being a mom.

I love being a mom. I graduated from BYU with a degree in English Teaching (although you wouldn't know from my grammar these days). I was 8 months pregnant with Kyle when I finished my student teaching.
  I had a choice. I could apply for jobs and teach, or stay at home with Kyle. I never contemplated the idea of teaching. I knew that I wanted to stay at home with my little man. Tim and I were lucky enough that financially I was able to do that. We have also made sacrifices so that I can stay home with our now two boys. When we moved here for law school, some of Tim's friends were quite baffled that I didn't put Kyle in day care and get a job. I even think some of them thought I was lazy. Which, quite honestly, makes me laugh. How little do they know about how hard it is to raise kids!!

  While I'm really good at venting about my day, or how much patience it requires to entertain and be entertained by a 3 yr. old, I fear that sometimes I'm not really good at expressing how much I love being a mom. I was reminded of this a couple nights ago as I was doing the dishes. I put Nolan in his jumperoo and since I was more than 5 feet away from him he started crying. I said, "Oh Nolan, you're ok. You don't need to cry." Kyle, who was by my feet, then echoed, "Oh Nolan, you're ok." And then added, "Do you need me to do the crazy dance?"

The crazy dance? He ran over to Nolan and did his "crazy dance" that I had never before heard of or seen, but it cheered his little brother right up. How cute is that?

  That little moment really touched me. How lucky am I to have such cute boys? So lucky. They also had their first fight that day, where Nolan tried to fight back when Kyle was trying to dominate the toy. It was hilarious! So glad I could be home to witness it.

photo by Mark Mabry

 Some days I wish so badly I could put on a heavy backpack and switch positions with Tim as he gets a big kiss from Kyle and heads out the door. That wishing usually doesn't last long though. It's too much fun changing diapers, playing with Handy Manny tools, wiping up yogurt from all over the kitchen table, taking walks in beautiful weather, having Kyle tell me I'm out of time-out and watching Nolan's eyes follow his brother's every move. Time is just flying way too fast.

  So while I vent and cry and emotionally eat, I also have plenty of days where I brag and laugh and forget to eat (oh wait, that never happens). I am so grateful that I can be a mom.

10 comments:

Charly said...

You are a great mom!

Cliff and Courtney's Family said...

what a great post! you are a great mom and those boys are so lucky to have you! miss you guys! lets catch up sometime i will call you this week:)

McKenzie said...

LOVE you. And LOVE your family. I want to meet them sooooo badly! Seriously, if you're ever in Utah we HAVE to get together because I want Kyle to marry Adrielle. Deal? Great.

Oh, and PS, I gave my cousin your blog because she just a second baby and has a crazy 2 1/2 year old. I told her "I have this friend, her little guy is crazy and hilarious (I proceeded to tell her about blessing the chocolate milk) and she is SUCH a great mom." I told her that you and her were alike, I hope she reads your blog because you're amazing.

Jenny said...

great post and picture! i love the crazy dance story. Kate used to start singing at the top of her lungs to make Macy stop crying except that it didn't work and usually just made things worse...but it was cute that she tried

Amy S said...

Such a good reminder of how blessed all us moms are to be able to stay home with our kids. I think its hilarious that Tim's classmates think your lazy, I get the same feeling from Cory's classmates. Little do they know what we do all day. :) We should get together soon.

Jen said...

I love this post. Hearing you makes me so excited to have two little boys. If only we were closer!

JONESIES said...

So true about people thinking your lazy. The girls at work always say things to me like I can't have excuses for not getting something done or having time for something. I now magically have all the time in the world while my kids behave and take care of themselves!

Katie said...

Love your post =-) I'm so glad I get to be a full time mom now, too. It really is the best. When Chad told one of his co-workers I was quitting work, he shockingly asked, "What is she going to DO?" What a joke. What am I NOT going to do?

Sarah Robbins said...

Isn't it wonderful to be able to stay home?! Thanks for your happy, encouraging post.

August and Melissa said...

yes you are a great mom!