Thursday, May 15, 2008

Here Today, Ghana Tomorrow

  We loaded up the car at 5:30 this morning to take my sister Alli to the SLC airport. She is on her way to Ghana where she will be living and teaching for two months at a deaf school. Going to Africa is a once in a lifetime opportunity if you're lucky, and this girl is really lucky because it is her second time to Africa.
Please remember that it was early...
Passport in hand all ready to go. Alli brings her baby blanket with her everywhere. I'm surprised my mom hasn't confiscated it. I wonder if she'll be as bad as Christi (jk Christi, you know I love you):
Alli had to pack most of her food for two months and bring it with her. My mom is a smart shopper and they found things like packaged chicken, ready to eat spaghetti sauce, granola bars, applesauce, etc. Alli pointed out that the good thing about packing the food is that it will get eaten and there will be enough room for souvenirs on her way home. Here is a pic of Alli and a girl (I think her name was Mallory) from Mesa.
She may be bathing out of a bucket for the next 2 months, but it'll be worth it because she'll be teaching cute kids like these ones:

Oh man, those of you who really know me know that I love African babies. If only we could adopt...
You can read more about the project here: http://www.signsofhopeinternational.org/index.php

6 comments:

Jenny said...

5 in the morning. what a good sister.
good luck alli!!

Nielsens said...

Thanks Jen (and Tim)! Love the pictures. Hopefully I'll stop crying before I go visiting teaching!

Mom :)

Chelsea said...

You both look way too cute for 5 am!! What a really cool thing she is doing. Good luck!!
Also love how your titles are always so cute and thoughtful! :)

megan said...

I already told Alli that I am so jealous! What an amazing experience that will be for her. The bath seat I got from my sister in law as a hand me down. I'm sure she just got it at babies r us, target, or walmart.

Anderson Adventures said...

Jen
very funny about the blanket thing. But seriously... I hatet to admit this but I am probably worse. I don't know if I will ever get rid of it. It stays tucked under my pillow every night. Jon tries to hide it and I get so mad. That is way nice you took ally to the airport. What happened to you know who? haha jk Anyways miss youguys tons. Tell tim hi and give kyle a hug from "aunt" christi!

jon♥kara said...

How crazy awesome is that. Good for her for taking the opportunity.