Friday, August 20, 2010

It's Getting Closer


Kyle has shown more interest in going "potty." I knew this day would come. Yes, it means less diaper       changes but I'm so scared for the "accidents." Toddler poop freaks me out (as opposed to newborn poop.
 hah.)

So, before I begin this adventure, can anyone give me advice, books or websites to read about potty training, ways that have worked with little boys in the past, oh-- and sympathy??

We're not going the little potty route like above. He's doing well sitting on the regular toilet so far.

In other news, yesterday I was packing up some maternity clothes when I thought it would be fun to try on a pair of shorts from pre-pregnancy with Nolan days. It was not fun. What was I thinking? I felt like a watermelon trying to fit inside a ziplock bag. I haven't lost any weight since he was two weeks old. I need to work on that!

Thanks!

7 comments:

Chad~Nicole said...

Canon was trained to go #2 in the toilet before #1, so we never had any yucky accidents. What worked best for us is using a sticker chart. He would add a sticker everytime he used the toilet. We'd set different goals of when he'd be rewarded. At first he might be rewarded after 3 or 5 stickers, but when he got the hang of it he'd have to earn 10 stickers. Then we took him to the $1 store and told him he could pick whatever he wanted in the whole store. Bottom line, bribery worked for us. Miraculously, from the day we started potty training and he started wearing undies he only had 2 pee accidents ever. He never even neededed pullups at night. (He was probably older than Kyle though.) I say skip the pullups during the day and go straight to the underwear if you're serious about it, and only start trying when you know for sure he can communicate to you that he needs to go. Otherwise you'll just get frustrated. As for Z, he potty trained himself. You probably read about it on my blog. How's that for a novel?

iknowjewels said...

Well, having no experience myself in the teaching department I will tell you about my oldest nephew.

He was doing really well with potty training and then somehow got a phobia about sitting on the toilet. He didn't master #2 until 4 (yes, 4) years old. The big catch? Potty money. He got paid to go poop on the toilet and he could use his money how he liked (I think it was a quarter). Candy or legos was the bulk of it and he would save his potty money up.

My oldest neice also became afraid of the toilet, but that is quite literally after she fell in it. So maybe one of those ugly squishy tops? It certainly helped her.

Then there was the M and M machine for Vivian, strategically placed by the sink. So the only time she really got candy or chocolate was if she at least tried to go on the toilet.

Amy S said...

Good Luck with your potty training adventures. I think the best advice I was given was to remember to keep your calm no matter what. A few times when Kallon had an accident I wanted to get angry and scold him. I had to remind myself that he didn't know any better and was learning. After we started I let him pick out underwear and he wore it during the day and it took him about a month to finally get the hang of it. Nights are another story, still working on it. Some days were harder than others and there were days I just wanted to put that diaper back on him. Buy lots of carpet cleaner and chocolate and/or ice cream(for you) for the hard days.
That will help with the weight loss, right!? I bet you look great, I don't think you need to worry about losing the weight. Just keep Nolan nursing and don't stress, it will come off eventually. Enjoy your babies and eating while you can! :)

Cara Jones said...

Mckenna is just getting the hang of it! I have heard lots and lots about a book "Toilet Train is Less Than a Day". I didn't read it, but followed the methods and it worked GREAT! I would suggest reading it because the online synopsis wasn't enough. Good luck! I just had to stay really patient with Mckenna. She is still having a difficult time with #2, but she is basically potty trained throughout the day (including nap time). It is nice only having to change diapers for one kiddos now :-)

megan said...

I let Catcher run around naked every once in a while when he first started o show interest. He recognized very quickly when he needed to pee and learned to go to a tree.

Once he started to get a little more serious and his diaper wa staying dry for log periods of time I got him big boy underwear. He lived to wear underwear with buzz and woody on them.

When the day finally came and I buckled down for the real thing he was pretty much pumped. I bought all sorts of sugary drinks that he doesn't normally get and let him drink as much as he wanted. Every 15 minutes I would take him to go pee. He didn't go every time, but it put him in the habit. He started off getting a little piece of candy when he would pee but once he really got the hang of it he stopped getting candy for pee. He occasionally still gets a dum dum lollipop for going #2. We have had a lot of accidents but usually because I forgot to have him go or I wasn't payig attention to the signs.

My biggest piece of advice is- remember you are training yourself as well. Just because he does really well one day doesn't mean he has it figured all out. You still have to pay attention to the sign, for instant before Catcher learned to poop in the toilet he would always poop in my cloest ( in a diaper) so once he started wearig underwear I had to remember to watch for him to run to my closet. If he did I knew it was time to set him on the toilet.

Lyssa Beth said...

Well since I have 3 kids, I am the expert...NOT. I really only went through potty training once with Emma cause Kate decided to train herself, bless her soul forever.
We started training her because she was showing interest. I started with the sticker sheet. She was a little over 2. She didn't quite get it. I was getting frustrated and pushing it and then I realized she wasn't ready and when she is, it would probably go easier. So I just on and off tried the following year. Emma was about 26 months when it clicked for her. Plus, I got Potty Power, a potty video that is AWESOME. Just buy it. You can rent it from the library but it's never available. I put her Dora potty chair int he living room and let her watch her favorite movies and gave her lots of drinks. So as she sat watching the movies and she would pee, i made the biggest deal of it and gave her candy. So it finally sunk in that if she peed in it, she would get rewarded.
Which, when I first started trying to train her, she didn't get that part. We would sit in the toilet for 40 minutes with nothing. 5 minutes after putting her in her diaper, she would pee....ya frustrating! So ya. I guess you could say that I did the whole, put her in panties, no more diapers from now on method and it worked. After a few days, she was donew ith diapers. ya the first day is kind of rough but they learn pretty fast to not pee in there panties because it is uncomfortable!
Let him see daddy pee too and give lots of encouragement.

Ann-Marie said...

You want my little frog toliet?+