Tuesday, August 24, 2010

San Diego

We were able to make a quick family trip to San Diego before heading back to San Antonio. I was so excited to take our first vacation as a family of four. I have so many fun memories of vacations with my own family and many of them include trips to see my cousins in Mission Viejo. I wish we would have had time to see them!!

Our plan was to wake up on Friday and do the San Diego zoo and beach, and then on Saturday go to the beach with some friends, and then on Sunday take Kyle to the San Diego temple before heading home. Lesson learned: When taking vacations with kids, don't bother planning.

On Thursday night--well really Friday morning-- it took Kyle forever to fall asleep in the hotel room. This was expected. However, at about one in the morning he woke up WIRED. He was talkative and wanting to do things. We tried to get him to sleep in different spots in the hotel room. He would not fall asleep. Finally around four in the morning we took Nolan out of the pack-n-play and put Kyle in there even though he was really too long for it. He cried for thirty minutes that he was stuck and then ended up falling asleep close to five am!! That was a loooong night. So, our plans to wake up and head to the zoo right away went out the window. Instead we went to the beach.
After waking up after our long morning:


Kyle loved playing in the sand, and even though the water was cold he loved having the waves "crash" against him. He wanted to walk further and further into the water.
Nolan was a champ. Although this UV shirt said 18-24 lbs on the tag, it just couldn't cover his belly!
Nothing like a little beef jerky to make Kyle happy:

The next day we headed to the zoo in the morning. I have to say that I think the San Diego Zoo is overrated. I accidentally said that aloud and ruined part of the experience for Tim. We had fun though and it was so nice to be outside and not be sweating! The weather was perfect!
This dog and leopard are friends:
My skittle-faced boy in front of the zebras:
At the polar bear exhibit kids could climb into a little cave. Kyle was convinced the vent was another spot to hide in:
My favorite animal at the zoo:
Nothing makes me feel more like a mom than a pair of tennis shoes and shorts!:
That night we met up with my longtime friend Kassidi and her family and Jon and Kara. We brought our camera but didn't take any pics. We went to Islands together and got frozen yogurt afterward. There's nothing like being with old friends. It was so fun but too short!

Oh, and on Sunday when we went to the temple the gates were closed so you couldn't get out and walk around. Tim did a couple drive-bys and that satisfied Kyle. My other favorite part of the trip were the hotel breakfasts. I always love hotel breakfasts! haha

5 comments:

Amy S said...

You are on a blogging role! I can't keep up, but I do love reading about your summer adventures. So keep 'em coming. I LOVE Nolan's chubby belly hanging out his shirt...so cute! Kyle looks so grown up now. Its amazing how much they change when you don't see them for a few months. Is Kyle okay with Nolan being around now? I hope so from the pictures it looks like he might be warming up to the idea of a little brother. haha

Rachel said...

I think you can't ever play down a zoo to a Peterson it's against our nature:) It looks like you had so much fun. I can't wait to go outside again and not sweat to death.

mom - Diane - Grandma :-) said...

looks like so much fun! i can't wait to go to the beach one of these days. until then, the pool will have to do!

mom - Diane - Grandma :-) said...

oh that was me, candace... not your mom. oops :)

Nielsens said...

oh my gosh, are you serious with that belly on nolan???? hahah and i love the pic of the 3 boys on the bed with kyle on tim's back. sorry your trip didn't turn out just as you hoped, but it still looked like a great time!