call for desperate measures.
I have only lost a lb or two since Nolan was two weeks old.
As in, three months ago.
As in, I'm still wearing the only two shorts that fit me.
As in, I don't have enough fingers for each lb I need to lose.
As in, if I don't lose more weight by fall I will only be wearing warm-ups in public.
As in, I need help.
I have thought about this. I am about as allergic to running as I am to crafts.
As in, jogging.
As in, when I say, "I ran a mile," what I really mean is I walked about 75% of it and then was really proud of myself for jogging the other 25%.
As in, I stop the treadmill at 1.00 because heaven forbid my body can run more than that.
I get bored.
I don't like it.
I've tried multiple times.
Indoor, outdoor.
Track, treadmill.
Fail.
Hurry, tell me your favorite music to listen to while jogging.
What's your motivation? Your routine?
How do you keep yourself ... dare I say it ... going the extra mile?
Saturday, September 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


22 comments:
i am also allergic to jogging. i ran 1 mile only once in my life when it was a new year's resolution, and was VERY proud! :) i'm into yoga and pilates right now. they not only keep the weight off, but also tone some muscle. if you don't want to go to a gym, you can always find free videos online at hulu.com, or on netflix instant view. you can also do it without finding a time that tim isn't studying...emma loves helping me work out! :)
I HATED running as well, but I was "pressured" into running Ragnar with some friends. It forced me to get my body in running shape (run through all the aches and pains) and now I love it. Can't wait to get back after baby #2. Maybe sign yourself up for a race? If you have a goal like that with an end in sight I think it is motivating.
So I just found out the secret to losing baby weight! You aren't going to like it- no sugar! I have almost lost ten pounds in the last month by walking twice a day and cutting the sugar. It is magic I tell you! I still eat high calorie foods, and don't feel like I am starving. Love it! And I am crazy about sugar usually, but it is amazing how much better I feel and how much better things taste. Anyway, best of luck! Don't burn too many calories, you have a baby to feed! (Assuming you are still breastfeeding.)
-Shan
thanks for your post on my blog... i've been feeling kind of horrible that i dont like having two. hopefully it will get better soon.
i gained 60 pounds with ethan. it took me a year and a half to lose it. I was still wearing maternity clothes for 6 months after. I finally lost it through walking with amber and eating a little better ( not a lot... still lots of cookies) and then for the last ten pounds i had to join a gym and use the weights.
I think just figuring out what is realistic for your life and sustainable is the best way to go. No cutting out things you won't be able to keep doing for a few months. Slow and steady sucks but it works eventually.
The key for me was to find a running/walking buddy. That's my biggest motivation knowing that someone is actually waiting for me. 95% of the time it works! Good luck!
I absolutely hating jogging as well! It makes me cringe thinking about it. I do like the elliptical machine though. It doesn't make all of your joints ache as bad :-) I really like to listen to audio books while doing the elliptical. I find myself wanting to do it more because I want to listen to my book! I usually just check them out from the library. Personally I like the Harry Potter books (because I always forget them,haha!)
Also, I have seriously LOVED, LOVED, LOVED P90. It is the starter version to P90X and I lost 16 pounds in like 6 weeks from it. We followed the "diet" and did the 30 minute exercise every day. I usually did it during Mckenna's nap time because it was easy to do with Andrew awake. I liked it better than I have like P90X (so far...) But like other exercise you really get out of it what you put in. Let me know if you want to borrow it!
Good luck.
Hey...this is probably weird but I just happened to look at your blog (saw it on Andrea Roche's). Sorry if that is totally creepy! :) Anyway, I just wanted to comment and say that the thing that really helped me lose weight after my baby was the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD. I really loved it. It's 20 minute workouts but they are killer. From someone who has also hated running in the past (I have only barely started to like it) it was nice to have another option. They sell that dvd at Costco for around $7.00 I think. Just an idea. :) Good luck!
Okay music you like with a fast beat is essential and running outside helps too (although if it's super humid you might prefer being inside). Having a destination to get to like a park is always fun, then you can take a break in the middle and let the kids play. If you walk part of the time or run slowly at first that's fine, it's better not to push yourself too hard or you'll get burnt out and not want to do it again.
One thing I figured out recently is that when I run 3 miles on a treadmill it says I really only burn about 300 calories which is like, one cookie, so diet plays a big part too. I'm not really willing to cut the sweets so I just wait for a year until the weight starts going away by itself. But for me that means hanging out in maternity jeans for 6 months after.
Anyways good luck!
does your gym offer classes? i get bored running too and dont like it. but i loooove spin class right and classes i get a better work out in because i never really push myself if i'm working out alone.
ZUMBA. do it!
I agree with the buddy comment. Even if I don't want to go, I still do because I don't want to be lame and make it so she doesn't get her workout either. We start out running as far as we can, and then we walk/run. Walk to the next light post, run to the next light post, repeat until you cool down. I bought some new running shoes so I would feel guilty if I didn't use them, and also just to be more comfortable. If you check out mapmyrun.com or something like that (ha) you would be surprised at how far you ended up making it. I was astonished at that the walk/run thing made us go three miles. I've never been a runner either - or into any kind of sports/exercise/activity but I know I just have to do it or I will end up an unhealthy fat old lady and I just can't have that! lol
Right now the only music that can get me running is Black Eyed Peas. HA! can't believe I just admitted that.
Funny stuff your allergies to running and crafts!
I don't like to run. I try not to. I'm an old fashioned aerobics/workout videos in my living room kind of girl.
And please, feel free to drop by any time!
It gets better, I promise. I wouldn't even run in p.e. in high school and now I run 5 miles every other day! I have to listen to music I know the words to or else I get bored. For me it doesn't even matter if it is upbeat, as long as I can sing along and zone out.
Here are some songs on my playlist.
Bringing Sexy Back- Justin Timberlake
Gold Digger- Kanye West
Dog Problems- The Format
Girl- Beck
Sweet Darlin'- She and Him
Crazy Little Thing Called Love- Queen
Mercy- Duffy
Chinese Translation- M. Ward
see, kind of an eclectic playlist, but all music that I know all the words to. This also isn't the only songs, but there were too many to list.
I hate running. I won't do it. Ever. My vote is pick a different type of exercise that is more appealing to you.
Jen I also HATE running and like you have tried multiple times. I too still have my share of weight to loose and I can't really give any adivce because I still have yet to get into a routine. But I know from before you have to do something you like and to me that was being social. LOL Walking is still a good form of exercise and if you have a buddy to walk with, well then there's your motivation (for me anyways). Also I agree with the first comment from Jes when I was in school all i did was Yoga for stress and I found I was loosing weight and getting tone at the same time. Yoga is my choice!!!
Come November, I will be in the same boat. I have gone on a walk 5 or 6 times since I have moved to KY. And the walks lasted maybe 20 minutes tops. So let me know what you come up with. And I love the post on Sam!
If you figure out how to love running please let me know. I have gone four times in the last two weeks thinking I would get better and learn to like it. Guess what! I still hate it. It is definitely not for me.
Here's my theory, some people were not made to be runners. I know I wasn't, it hurts my knees and the impact doesn't help my back either. I started Bikram Yoga, and I LOVE IT! You don't jump around, and you get brakes between poses so it's totally doable (and you sweat like crazy, because it's hot yoga). Highly recommend it. Good luck Jen.
Oh my! I am sure I will be in your shoes in just a few months. I ran a half marathon a couple years ago, but before that I HATED running. I agree with the friend thing, that really helped me. Also, setting a goal. I paid for the half marathon at the same time my friend did, so I really felt like I had to do it. That motivated me.
But running is not for everyone. I agree with everyone else who says to find something you do like, maybe cycling? Or swimming if it is still warm enough?
Don't be so hard on yourself. Your baby is like two seconds old. I usually hang onto the baby weight for about 9 months (literally I only lose a few lbs) and then it starts falling off. My biggest thing is no sugar and staying active. You would be surprised how little sweets I eat. Seriously though, you are so beautiful. Give yourself time. You will bounce back :)
I hate this stage after baby! I had that with Olivia for like 2 years! and by "that" I mean extra weight. Do you remember asking me if I was pregnant one time outside of Celest's house? YEAH... Anyway, with that said, I got tired of always doing Zumba (although, really fun) pilates, the step climber ect. for ever to lose the weight because I was determined to avoid running but guess what? I never did. So, I decided this summer to lose all the weight once and for all. I did the unthinkable, and ran every day all summer. I did the 1 mile thing, and did weights. After 2 weeks I lost weight. I still eat like crap, but I'm still losing! So, my best advice is to suck it up, and run! Do it with music, every day for as long as you can run on the machine. You will see results FAST! and that will get you hooked! Allow yourself, 2 weeks 5 times a week to run, and if you don't feel motivated by then, then do something else. I guess that's my advice, set a time line, follow it and results will motivate you!
Post a Comment