Yesterday I had one of those "Mother Moments." To me, "Mother Moments" are the times when I'm with Kyle and it really hits me that I'm acutally a mom. It's kind of like the first time I smelt his litttle bum in search of a stinky diaper without thinking twice, or when I non-reluctantly tried to get a booger out of his nose (gross, but what Mom hasn't? See what I mean?). Or when I didn't buy a shirt because I knew it would get too dirty from having Kyle in my hands too fast. Yesterday, however, this moment was a little deeper. Kyle has his first tooth breaking through and ran a fever all day yesterday. He actually let me rock him. Usually he arches his back, flings his arms and grunts when I try to cradle him. He was so sick and just stared at me for ten to fifteen minutes as I rocked him back and forth. That was the moment that it hit me, once again, that I am a mom.I started to think about how much Kyle relies on me. I thought about how hot I was carrying him since his body was so hot with a fever. I also tried to ignore my aching arms as I just held my 20 something pounder in my arms. Then I started to think about my parents, who are celebrating their 29th Anniversary today. I have such great parents! They both sacrifice so much for the happiness of their children. I know I can remember many moments with them that I'm sure they would classify as their own "Father Moments," or "Mother Moments." Now that I am actually a parent myself, I think I can understand their love a little bit more.
My parents are such good examples of a strong marriage. They both respect each other, support each other, have fun with each other, and obviously love each other. Thanks Mom and Dad for all that you do, and for tying the knot in the Mesa Temple 29 yrs ago so that we can be a family for eternity!
Today is also a day to remember for a different reason. 18 years ago Tim's dad died after being part of a small plane crash in AZ. I can still remember the moment my parents got the news about Mario's death. It's been humbling to hear Tim talk about what he remembers and the different struggles he's experienced growing up without a dad. Tim is also quick to remember the many people who have helped his family of 5 boys when they needed it. I'm proud of the dad Tim has become even though he has few memories of his own. Once again, we are so grateful for eternal families. Have a good one today!


7 comments:
What a beautiful post! I too love those 'Mother Moments'. They are priceless!
Jen, I don't like it when I start to cry reading blog posts.
what a sweet post. mother moments are so crazy. we are moms. it's still weird to me. having a kid has definitely made me appreciate parents more. i can't comprehend 29 years yet when we are going on 3.
That was a tear jerker blog post. Thank you!!! We know we are very blessed and are grateful for the wonderful family and marriage we have. Our greatest joys come from our family. :) We also think of Mario on our anniversary and remember that fateful day with gratitude for knowledge of eternal families. We have very loving and fond memories of Mario. He would be proud of Tim as a daddy!
I love this post. What wonderful parents you do have. I have always looked up to them as well. Tim's parents are wonderful too. I only slightly remember Mario however. Carol did a fantastic job raising her boys
Awesome post Jen! Mom moments are for sure the best. How sweet that he let you cuddle him when he really needs you. Way to go momma!! Congrats to your parents! And I can't believe it has been 18 years.
Post a Comment