Thursday, April 2, 2009

To Laugh or To Cry

I was trying to find a certain quote by Sister Hinckley today, when I came across this one: 

"The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache." 
— Marjorie Pay Hinckley

I wish I would have read that earlier, might have saved me a headache. It just really hit home and put a smile on my face. I miss President Hinckley and his sense of humor and the love he shared for his wife, but I am excited to hear from President Monson this weekend.


This was another great quote: 
"We women have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable for us. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something. We have to learn to be content with what we are." 
— Marjorie Pay Hinckley

I've had this running list in my head for a good couple of months of things I've wanted to get done around here and goals of mine, and quite honestly it's been wearing me out! I've started writing stuff down and already I feel lighter! Not ten pounds lighter, but lighter. I have a couple of things I need to work on being content about. I'll just add that to the list :). j/k 

And here is the quote I was looking for:
"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. 
I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. 
I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children. 
I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. 
I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. 
I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived." 
— Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Doesn't she just have a simple, yet powerful way with words? Ah, I love it. 

16 comments:

Noelle said...

great post. thanks for sharing these awesome quotes. I miss them too!

Amy S said...

It's true you really do have to laugh, I know I do or I would explode! One day at a time. I Love President and Sister Hinckley. I always loved listening to President Hinckley's talks and enjoyed his sense of humor!:)

Corynn said...

I love all your quotes today! What a good refresher!

Chelsea said...

Jen you are so awesome! I soo needed this today!!!

Erin said...

Oh thank you! I needed to hear every single one of those quotes today. And probably every day. I love Sis. Hinckley.

Anonymous said...

That is great. what a lovely post! Did you find those in a book? or just searching online?

Lisa said...

I am sitting in my car right now because the boys fell asleep and I know if I move them they will wake up and be grouchy for the rest of the day. So I was a little angry that I was "wasting" time I could be getting something done and then I read your quotes! Perfect!! Now I am going to just relax and enjoy the little snoring sounds behind me! Thanks for the post!

mom - Diane - Grandma :-) said...

Love the quotes. I was preparing to speak to the Beehives in the stake about "inner beauty" and people that "sparkle" and Sister Hinckley came to mind. She always makes me smile!

megan said...

I was just talking about these couple of subjects with my sister. First, that we missed President and sister Hinckley. We know all the prophets are called by Heavenly Father, but it just struck us with him. I am also looking forward to hearing President Monson talk. He has such a lightheartedness about him and you just have to smile.

I agree completely with the quote about laughing or crying. I prefer laughing myself, but occasionally I need a good cry too. I'm not talking about the "I feel bad for myself" cry (although those have escaped) I am talking about the cries when you are just thinking about how awesome, or important something is and you totally relate is to Christ and it clarifies things. I had one of those cries this morning and it felt good.

Sometimes I have a hard time thinking about how well other people dress, or silly things like that and then I think that isn't really what is important to me and I put things into the right priority. I am not saying people who always look nice aren't fantastic people as well. I know many people who are awesome and always look fabulous. I just don't happen to be one of them and that is ok.

Thanks for putting up those quotes!

Jenny said...

i have been all about quotes lately too for some reason! i love them.

funny story about that last quote, a new girl in our ward read that in a talk in sacrament meeting recently and it struck chris and i as funny because our relief society pres drives a shiny red sports car, and is always impeccably dressed in cute little tailored suits!

iknowjewels said...

I loved that last quote especially. I shared it with Jason and it really puts things into perspective. Lately (more than ever) he has been pinning for a sports car, and I just got my nails done yesterday. However, those things don't really bring us happiness. They are just a fill in since I don't have much family or friends up here.
I was also thinking how much I missed president Hinkley's optimism the other day. I loved Sister Hinkley's insight too.

JONESIES said...

yes I love her!

Nuestra Familia said...

Thanks Jen! call me when you can ichat, Mo loved Kyle's videos we watched them all over again. And then Gabby said "can Kyle see me?' she thought it was ichat, funny girl.

Candace Heyman said...

I'm reading President Hinkley's biography right now and I have grown to love and adore this woman even more. I wish I could be as easy going as her.

Ann-Marie said...

This was a perfect post for me. Thank-you!

Jen said...

Great post Jennifer! I really needed to hear this today. Thanks for the boost!