Saturday, May 22, 2010

Uh Oh...

I'm afraid my worst nightmare is coming true. In the past seven days, Kyle has only napped twice and one of those naps was a measly hour long.

WHAT AM I TO DO??

I love that this change in routine has come just a little over a week before the baby will be joining us. It doesn't just have me worried, it has me freaked! Everyday we have continued to put him in his crib for naptime. He will play in there for two hours before he's ready to get out. Some of you may be thinking, "Enjoy that break!" but it's his behavior afterward that leaves me terrified. He needs his nap. I need the peace of mind knowing that he's napping.

WE HAVE TRIED DIFFERENT THINGS.

  Trips to Sea World before naps where we encourage him to run his little heart out have proved fruitless.
  Promising him popsicles after his nap means nothing.

  Today we thought that by removing his stuffed animals he would quiet down more. Nope. Instead I am listening to him sing about basketball, baseball, pretzels and whatever else comes to his mind while he plays the drums on his stomach.

  Another problem is that Kyle regularly has a stinky diaper 10-20 mins into being put in his crib. I'll ask him if he needs to use the potty before I put him down but he says, "Nope!" and minutes later I find myself changing his diaper. So, we have also resorted to powdering him up and just leaving him in there in case our entrances were distracting him from calming down.

NOTHING IS WORKING.
At what age did your child stop napping?

Please help. Or send sympathy. Preferably both.

9 comments:

Jen said...

I'll send sympathy. I'm sure we'll be there before long so I'm interested to read what advice you get. Best of luck!

Andrea Hale said...

I'm so sorry! They all have their days....and they definitely need naps! :) Grant still naps in the afternoon and I have started to cut Michael's to just one nap (it's a little easier to run errand and such). I would keep putting him down at his normal time, even just for "quiet time" and if he doesn't take a real nap then maybe put him to bed earlier. That's what I do with Grant if he's stubborn and refuses to take a nap, I just put him to bed extra early (for my sanity)! Maybe that'll make him wake up earlier though....which also could be a good thing because he'd be tired for his nap the next day. I don't really know....sleeping stinks!!!! Oh, another idea.... some kids I watch do "movie naps" and they have to lay down during the whole movie (can only get up to go potty), most of the time they fall asleep. :)

Erin said...

Hayden stopped in January when we got home from our Christmas break, so he was almost 3. I can still get him to nap sometimes if he really needs it. I trick him. I tell him it's quiet time and that he gets to watch a movie. It has to be one he has seen a million times though. I cuddle him up on the couch with a bowl of crackers and some milk. He does this regularly during Halle's nap, but when I really want him to sleep, I turn all the lights off and close the blinds. It's just so relaxing he falls asleep. Sometimes it helps if I sit in the same room and read a book (so he doesn't want to get up and come find me) or cuddle up with him for a minute. He has also fallen asleep running errands so I put the baby monitor in the car and leave him in the locked garage. The weather is perfect for this though, and it's probably already too hot where you are. I don't do it when it's a warm day at all. It won't take too long before he gets used to it and won't be so cranky. He might just go to bed a half hour early instead. I loved having both the kids sleeping at the same time, but I found that I really enjoyed it when Halle was sleeping and I got some quality time with Hayden too. And at least you don't have to deal with the frustration of leap frogging naps when the baby gets here, which means you have to stay home pretty much all day while they take turns sleeping. Good luck!

Mariley Johnson said...

My sympathy. Jens who's 4 just told me yesterday that it has been a long time since he's taken a nap at home! It has! But he still goes to his room for naps when Kale goes down. He never naps and only makes a mess of his room. And he's cranky at dinner time, but that means an early bedtime. Good luck!
And how do you know Andrea Hale? We were in the same ward before we moved here. Small world.

Nicole said...

Hopefully it's just a phase. Mary did that too, for a few weeks (several times actually) yet she still naps faithfully everyday. Don't give up and hopefully he'll just get over it!

Jenny said...

Kate quit hers right around that age, but it coincided with moving her into her big girl bed. I could have really used those naps when Macy came so keep trying to put him down every day and maybe they will come back! Good luck!

megan said...

Pooping always ruins naptime! Maybe put him down a half hour later than normal. That gives him time to take care of business before he realizes it is naptime, and ruins it. Sorry to say, some kids are done with naptime at 2 1/2. Keep going with it though, it could just be a phase. If it isn't a phase he will start going to sleep again. I really hope for your sake that he starts napping again.

Definetly try to have both boys take a nap at the same time. Speaking of, is there a name for your baby yet?

JONESIES said...

I'm so sorry I'll have to send sympathy also. When Emerson is refusing we still have "quite time" in his room. Sometimes he sleeps and sometimes he doesn't but at least I get a few min of quite (or at least muffled quiet)

Jessica said...

If it makes you feel any better, Annabelle did the exact same thing to me before J was born. Even the month after her sleeping schedule was aweful. I think kids can tell that things are going to be changing and it throws them off. Anyway Belle went back to a normal nap routine when J was about 6 weeks :)