Sunday, September 28, 2008

Week in Review

    Really I'm just blogging because I am avoiding the dishes right now. Last week started out great because we organized Tim's mission pictures in chronological order and put them in albums. Hooray! It felt like such a big accomplishment. Tim is still obsessed with his mission, so he had to approve of every picture I threw out, but it was fun.
       After that I had a rough week. This is usually the time of year when I'm reuniting with my classmates, seeing friends on campus, fall weather, living near my sister and cousin, etc. The state of my loneliness in TX began to set in. Everyone in my ward and my neighbors are really nice and welcoming, but I look forward to having some friends that I can chat with on the phone and just hang out with. I know it'll take time. One day, in the middle of my somber, I said a quick prayer. It was something like, "Please help me make friends and stop feeling sorry for myself." After that I did the greatest thing--I took my frustration out on my house and cleaned the entire house. Kyle even napped extra long for me to get everything done. It felt so great!! Heavenly Father knew I needed to focus on something else and it worked. The next day I was able to enjoy myself instead of cleaning like a franctic lady during Kyle's nap. So I balled my eyes out reading this book:     "Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10." Despite the heavy cursing, this book was amazing. It provided me with a better perspective of military personnel and the sacrifices they make fighting the war going on right now. Tim and I both read it and loved talking about it afterward.
    Did anyone watch the Relief Society broadcast? I got to go out to CPK for dinner with a group of girls and then watch it at the stake center. Although I was tempted to just watch it at home when I found out it was on our tv, it was nice to get out and I'm sure Tim loved his bonding time with Kyle. I loved President Uchtdorf's talk. He is such a funny guy.
    We also got Kyle's shelf up in his room and so I hope to have that put together in a couple of days. It's finally starting to look like we didn't just move in. I'm so excited! 
Here's to a brighter week!
 

13 comments:

JONESIES said...

cute picture of Kyle,I hope you have a better week too. I know how you feel though!

megan said...

cute picture of Kyle in sun glasses! Doe she actually keep them on? Catcher hates sunglasses and hats. I missed a lot of Conference trying to wrestle with Catcher but I did catch parts of it. I stayed at my moms house and watched it with her. It will also be playing on BYU tv for the next three months so I can always catch what I missed before. I'm glad you were able to focus on something else. I try to do the same thing when I am feeling sorry for myself. My sister in law and I are thinking about going to San Antonio next summer for a whole month! We will see if it actually happens but we just started talking about it!

Corynn said...

Hope you have a better week. Loneliness is such an awful feeling. I snuck out for the conference and really enjoyed it too. I a glad you got to go to dinner with some girls. That sounds like a lot of fun!

corrine said...

Jenn, I totally know how it feels to be lonely and new in an area... especially in the Fall, it's weird but it is the time I get most homesick too. I loved Pres Uchtdorf's talk also though because I've been feeling WAY too sorry for myself lately because of this or that, and it's just good to hear someone say "get outside yourself and go serve others." it was exactly what I needed to hear. anyway, I hope you have a brighter week too and I will say some prayers for you. :)

Lyssa Beth said...

Jennifer, I love reading your blog! you are too funny with your comment and pictures.
Seriously, I know the "loneliness" factor with moving to a new place...been there and still am there! I think everyone goes through that and it does take time so no worries. you shouldn't have any troubles making friends! And please always know that we can hang out whenever. We can get something together in minutes!
And I didn't go last night to the broadcast but did you have fun? What is CPK? And who did you go with?

Jen said...

I hear ya on the whole making friends thing. I'm in the middle of that too. Could you please send your cleaning bug over here? I could really use it this week. :)

Jenni said...

don't you love it when cleaning actually feels good? If only that always was the case. Once again, I promise next year will be so much better....and I will have time during the week actually to get together!! I hope this week goes well for you!

Jenny said...

i love that pic of kyle.

it's good you got out and had a little girls time. i was feeling that way about friends for awhile here when all 4 of my good friends moved at once. i don't think i did anything in particular to make things better but i'm gradually starting to become close with new friends, it just takes time.

i need some of your cleaning inspiration right now! i too am avoiding the dishes. yuck.

Curtis Heyman said...

it looks like Kyle is flashing gang signs with those shades on.

He IS from Chandler.

Cara Jones said...

Hey... I TOTALLY know how you feel. I have lived here a whole year and still feel that way! I have been hoping that having you here will help fill some of that "void", but I know it is has been crazy busy! We got to Utah on Tuesday (and tomorrow is Jeff's b-day), but after we get back on the 6th we DEFINITELY need to hang out so that we can have FRIENDS!!! I hope school is going well for Tim and I also hope you had a great trip to AZ!!! Talk to you soon!

Corynn said...

Sorry to hijack - but can you not see my scrapblog? I don't know why not! Cammie B. couldn't either. I wonder what I need to do to fix it.

The Scotts said...

I too am avoiding dishes! I hate moving because it takes a while to get REAL friends! Hope you have a better week and you are welcome to come and clean my house if it makes you feel better!

Hillery said...

Jeez! I'm a bad sister in law! I need to step it up a notch! We hope you guys start feeling Texas is home. I have talked to SO MANY people who feel the same way (including myself). 6 months after we moved here I started sobbing to Andy that my best friend was this 65 year old lady I worked with. It was a low point. But gradually things got better. And how cute is Kyle in those glasses?!!