Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thankful

   You don't have to read this, but if you do I hope you can take something away from it. I just read one of my friend's blogs who recently lost a baby 19 weeks into her pregnancy. It was a little boy. I'm still sort of numb. My thoughts, of course, instantly turned to Kyle. Then my thoughts turned back to my friend. Her blog is one of the funniest, most uplifting blogs. She is so positive and even keeps a running list of things she is grateful for on the side of her blog. She is just genuinely a nice person.
    I think she's probably enduring the hardest thing a mother could do right now, endure the loss of a child. Yet at the same time she's never slow to show gratitude.
  What have I done to show more gratitude this Thanksgiving season? I'm not sure. Honestly, I thought Thanksgiving was next week until today. I have a lot to be grateful for. It's easy for me to think "I'm in TX away from family," or "I still feel new when I'm around people," or "I could probably write the longest Christmas list ever this year since I'm so poor," but really, who cares? Why is it so easy for myself to get stuck in the rut of complaining? I'm embarrassed.
  So here it goes. My attempt at redeeming myself before the big Turkey day. I'm thankful for Tim, such a hard working student who makes time for his family and plays games with Kyle to his heart's content. I'm grateful for the family I was raised in. I miss them all the time. I'm grateful for the family I married into. I'm grateful for a visiting teacher who has become my friend, for friends who had us over for dinner tonight, for hand me down clothes (I feel like I went shopping and it was free!!). I'm thankful for my camera, for cloudy days and Cold Stone Creamery birthday coupons. I'm grateful for my friends in AZ who could have forgotten about me but instead give me advice on the phone and keep in contact with me. I'm thankful for the Ensign, for the way reading it brought the Spirit into our home this week (I recommend thinking about the effects of Prop 8 while reading "Christian Courage: The Price of Discipleship," by Elder Hales and "The Test," by President Packer. AMAZING). I'm grateful for Kyle's long naps, for iChat. I'm thankful for slap-the-knee comedy, good hair days and for time to scrapbook. I'm thankful for the time right before I put Kyle down for his nap. I sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star." He starts with his head on my shoulder but by the end of the song he is pulling my neck and we're both laughing.  I'm thankful for the comfort of prayer, the smile from a friend and the smile from a stranger. I'm thankful for green lights and good Mexican restaurants. I'm thankful for my best friend since 3rd grade. I'm thankful for my knowledge that the Church is true. I'm grateful for a friend's good example . . . even through her tough times. 
  

8 comments:

McKenzie said...

Thanks Jennifer, that was very uplifting. I also wanted to thank you for your input about the Sanctity of marriage. You are a wonderful friend and a great example. Thank you.

Noelle said...

Great post Jen :) It really is all about perspective. I loved your references to specific conference talks this time of year. I have a few that have really been helping me these last few weeks as well. I love you. :)

Chelsea said...

I loved what you had to say. While reading it, I thought about how perspective is everything. And then Noelle beat me to saying it. :) But really, thanks for a wonderful perspective on what really counts. Now I need to go regroup my list with a better attitude!

Jen said...

Thanks for sharing Jennifer. You are a good example to me. :) Happy Thanksgiving!

Cara Jones said...

Great post! It made me feel so great!! Thanks for posting it!

Jenny said...

this was an awesome post. i love a good reminder of all the blessings in my (and your) life.

this is a little lighthearted for such an inspirational post, but i am so thankful for those onesies you sent kate! she wears both of them every week and they are the perfect "everyday" shirts that make me happy.

Unknown said...

Thanks for that post! I'm going to be doing the same thing but it is always good to hear what other people are grateful for. It makes you realize things you maybe wouldn't have before. So are you doing Thanksgiving dinner there in Texas? I know you said you don't like to cook :) so I was wondering what your plans were. I remember back in the Avenues when you would always make bean burros for Tim! I think thats what you called them. Have a good Thanksgiving!

Andrea said...

you are a good woman.